Renovated your home? Time to think about contents cost.


You've put months of planning, work, and savings into completing renovations – now it’s time to think about protecting what you've built.

Home renovations can be stressful, often running over the initial timeline and budget. Now that you're finally done, you just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy your new space. But before you consider the project over and done with, consider if you're meeting all your personal insurance needs now that you've made changes to your home.

Why now is a good time to expand your coverage.

Many people renovate in order to increase the value of their property. Others choose to improve certain rooms so they can better enjoy the space. Sometimes renovations are necessary because a home is too old or requires essential repairs. In every case, the result is to improve on your home investment.

If you've just completed a home renovation, you likely spent a lot of time and money on making your space look and feel just right. Whether it was a small project like ripping out an old shag rug and replacing it with hardwood floors, or redoing an entire kitchen with new fixtures and appliances, you're proud of the way your place looks.

Renovations usually mean changes and upgrades to the interior of your home, including new furniture, appliances, decorations and other additions like art and lighting. After all that hard work, purchasing content insurance on top of your current home insurance policy will ensure you won't lose all the money you've just spent should there be a fire, burglary, or other damage to the contents of your home.

What is Content Insurance, exactly?

Content insurance covers anything inside your home that isn't part of the structure of the building. Typically, Home insurance policies cover damage to some of the content in your home, but you may want to think about purchasing additional coverage if you want to make sure all your personal belongings are covered.

Things to know

  • Generally, you’ll be covered against theft, fire and flood.
  • You can buy optional extras that can cover your personal belongings even when they're outside of the home (such as a laptop or camera) or, even if they get damaged while you're on vacation abroad.
  • Most policies have limits on the amount of coverage for contents so it’s important to ensure all your belongings are protected and determine if you need to purchase extra coverage.
  • Accidental damage coverage is usually extra.

Now that your renovations are complete, take the time to speak with a PC® insurance broker or get a quick quote online to make sure you get the personal insurance coverage you need.

How to make a claim

Call 1-877-251-8656 to speak with a Claims Advisor.

Renewing your policy

Call 1-877-251-8652 for information regarding policy renewal.

Buying a new policy

Call 1-866-660-9035 for information on obtaining a quote.

Need help?

Take a look at the top 5 FAQs:

  • Why should I have home insurance?

    Why should I have home insurance?

    While the government doesn't require you to purchase home insurance, your mortgage-holder probably will - at least enough to cover its share of ownership. There are various kinds of home insurance that cover general and specific kinds of damage to your home, and you should research your options carefully. You can also buy specialized insurance to cover a condominium, home business, or other kind of property or valuables found in your home.

    Home insurance also includes liability coverage for people who are hurt on your property.

  • Why should I buy tenant's insurance when I live in an apartment and don't have many contents or valuables?

    Why should I buy tenant's insurance when I live in an apartment and don't have many contents or valuables?

    Most people would be surprised at the value of their personal property if they were to add it up and have to replace it all immediately. Think about your furniture, clothing, electronic equipment-then try to put a price tag to it all. Also, if you've purchased items on credit and they are stolen or destroyed by fire, you could still have to make the payments.

    Tenants insurance also includes liability insurance for damage the tenants or their guests cause to the building, for injuries in the rented home, etc.

  • How can I earn PC Optimum points?

    How can I earn PC Optimum points?

    When you use your President's Choice Financial® MasterCard® to pay your PC home insurance premium, you'll get 20 PC Optimum points per dollar of your premium. If you use your President's Choice Financial bank card to pay your PC home insurance premium, you'll get 10 PC Optimum points per dollar of your premium.

  • What is a deductible?

    What is a deductible?

    A deductible is your share of the amount that needs to be paid to cover the repair or replacement of your covered property before your insurance pays the rest.

  • How are premiums calculated?

    How are premiums calculated?

    The building itself has a lot to do with how your home insurance premiums are set. Many things about your home are taken into consideration including:

    • Its age and size
    • Type of building (detached, semi, high rise, etc)
    • Type of construction (brick, stucco, wood, etc)
    • Type of heating system
    • How close it is to a fire hydrant or fire station
    • Where it is located

See all Home Insurance FAQs


We're cooking up something great!

As you explore our website, you’ll notice some pages look a little different than others. That’s because we’re in the process of redesigning our entire site.

All the information you need is still available. Watch out for more exciting changes coming soon!


Nous vous concoctons un petit quelque chose!

Lorsque vous naviguez sur notre site, vous remarquerez que l’apparence des pages varie parfois. Cela est dû à la cure de rajeunissement que subit présentement tout notre site Web.

Tous les renseignements dont vous avez besoin s’y trouvent toujours. D’autres changements excitants suivront bientôt!