Skip to content
PC Insurance

Home Insurance FAQs

FAQ Home Page


Home insurance

Why should I have home insurance?

While the government doesn't require you to purchase home insurance, your mortgage-holder probably will - at least enough to cover its share of ownership. There are various kinds of home insurance that cover general and specific kinds of damage to your home, and you should research your options carefully. You can also buy specialized insurance to cover a condominium, home business, or other kind of property or valuables found in your home.

Home insurance also includes liability coverage for people who are hurt on your property.

Why should I buy tenant's insurance when I live in an apartment and don't have many contents or valuables?

Most people would be surprised at the value of their personal property if they were to add it up and have to replace it all immediately. Think about your furniture, clothing, electronic equipment-then try to put a price tag to it all. Also, if you've purchased items on credit and they are stolen or destroyed by fire, you could still have to make the payments.
Tenants insurance also includes liability insurance for damage the tenants or their guests cause to the building, for injuries in the rented home, etc.

How can I earn PC Optimum points?

When you use your President's Choice Financial® MasterCard® to pay your PC® home insurance premium, you'll get 20 PC Optimum points per dollar of your premium.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is your share of the amount that needs to be paid to cover the repair or replacement of your covered property before your insurance pays the rest.

How are premiums calculated?

The building itself has a lot to do with how your home insurance premiums are set. Many things about your home are taken into consideration including:
Its age and size
Type of building (detached, semi, high rise, etc)
Type of construction (brick, stucco, wood, etc)
Type of heating system
How close it is to a fire hydrant or fire station
Where it is located

What is insurance?

Insurance is a legal arrangement that protects you and your family in the event of a covered loss. It may enable you to replace income and/or valuable possessions quickly and without undue burden.

What types of insurance are available?

PC® home and auto insurance is available in Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island.

PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go is not available in Quebec or New Brunswick.
PC pet and travel insurance is available in all Canadian provinces.

Is the insurance industry regulated?

Yes. Each provincial government regulates the sale of insurance. The regulator's role is to ensure quality and fairness for you, the consumer.

Your province's insurance regulators may have a website with valuable information about what you can expect from the insurance industry in your province. Check out the useful home insurance links section for links to provincial websites.

What do I do if I need to make a claim?

Just call 1-877-251-8656 if you are involved in an accident or suffer another kind of loss. Get more information about making a claim here.

How much home insurance is enough?

Some insurance policies require that you estimate the total value of your possessions and the building itself.
Speak with our insurance brokers to determine your insurance needs.

I'm moving and I want to get a quote for my insurance, but I don't know my new postal code. When I'm getting a quote, what postal code should I use?

Insurance companies use your postal code to help calculate your insurance rate and this rate can vary. That's why it's best to get a quote once you know your new postal code.
If you're trying to budget and want to get an idea of what you will be paying, choose a postal code that's closest to the area you will be living. Then when you do know your new postal code, you can come back to get a quote that's more accurate.

Who do I call if I have an insurance complaint?

If you can't resolve your insurance complaint with your insurance company directly, you may wish to contact the General Insurance OmbudService online or call them at 1-800-387-2880. Please note, we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of this website.

How can I cancel my PC home insurance policy?

Please fill out the “Request for Policy Cancellation” form, available by clicking here. Please ensure that all persons named as “Insured” on the policy, sign this form. Fax the completed and signed form to FAX #1-877-251-8648, or mail it to:

PC Home & Auto Insurance
PO Box 483 Station A
Windsor, ON N9A 6M6

The form can also be filled-in, signed, scanned, and emailed to

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Contact us for more help