Skip to content
PC Insurance
Sign in

Why should I have auto insurance?

If you own a vehicle, by law in Canada, you must have the mandatory coverage such as liability, accident benefits, direct compensation-property damage and uninsured motorist. You should also have adequate optional collision and upset coverage and comprehensive coverage to protect your property in case of loss.

  • Liability - covers you for things like legal fees and the cost of settling the claims, up to the limit indicated on your certificate.

  • Accident benefits - may provide benefits for medical costs, including rehabilitation, attendant care and more, disability income to cover lost wages, funeral expenses and death benefits for you, your spouse or dependants.

  • Direct compensation - property damage (Ontario only)- may cover the cost to repair or replace your vehicle and any property inside it, and may provide you with a rental car, if you're in an accident that isn't your fault or is partly your fault.

  • Uninsured motorist - may cover you and any other passengers in your vehicle for injuries. It may also cover damage to your vehicle by a driver who doesn't have insurance, or a hit-and-run driver. In Ontario, you can only make a claim under this coverage if the other vehicle and/or driver can be identified. (If the driver or vehicle can't be identified, this coverage doesn't apply but there still may be benefits for injuries and/or collision under other parts of your policy.)

Related Questions

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Contact us for more help